shahr ke añdhere ko ik charāġh kaafī hai
sau charāġh jalte haiñ ik charāġh jalne se
Shaikh Nasir-ud-din Mahmud, better known from his alias ‘Chiragh-e-Roshan Dehlvi’, was a disciple and successor of Shaikh Hazrat Nizamuddin Auliya of the Chishti order. He was born to Abdul Latif Yazdi in Awadh and was a Sayyid. He moved to Delhi at the age of 40 and became a disciple of Hazrat Nizamuddin Auliya. Unlike his master, he did not listen to sama and therefore, no qawwali is sung in his dargah.
He was patronised and served by Sultan Feroz Shah Tughlaq, under whose lifetime the dome of the tomb was built. Hazrat Makhdoom, a sufi saint and the ancestor to the Bukhari lineage gave him the title of the “he who illuminates the lamp of Delhi”. He passed away in the year 1356 C.E.
The dargah complex consists of the tomb of Bahlol Lodhi, Mosque of Farrukhsiyar, Majlis Khana, Mahfilkhana or the Madrassa and many other structures.
Tomb of Chiragh-e-Roshan Dehlvi Majlis Khana Mahfilkhana/ Madrassa Tomb of Bahlol Lodhi Mosque by Farrukhsiyar
c. “Monuments of Delhi: Lasting Splendour of the Great Mughals and Others. Volume III Mehrauli Zail.”1997